Thursday, September 30, 2010

I wonder (as I wander) With apologies to the Christmas song.

  As I was walking along the river today behind the YMCA at lunch, I saw some ducks out in the river. They would float along for a while, then duck their heads under water, their cute little ducky-butts to the sky. And I started wondering. And, since this Blog is called "Ponderings" I thought I would share the things I wonder, just some of the, one would hope, less crazy things that I wonder about.

1.  I wonder if they call the birds "ducks" because they duck their heads under the water to feed, or do we say "duck" meaning to lower your head, because of the bird?

2.  I wonder if the "Best Man" was ever just "The Most Suitable Man"? (Or is he the groom?) Why doesn't the bride marry the "Best Man"? (She thought she was marrying the best man)?

3. I wonder if all children are mystified when they fly their first kite?

4. I wonder why we call some people "hot". Are all the ones who are not "hot" then "cold". (And why do we call some people cold?)

5.  I wonder - if looks really could kill, how many of us would survive to puberty? Adulthood?

6.  You know all those "First Baptist" churches and "First Presbyterian" churches? I wonder which one was really first? Seems like there's a "First Baptist" in every town. And where are the "Second Baptists" and "Second Presbyterians"? Did they all give up when the "First" ones won?

7. I wonder, and this is a little risque maybe, I wonder what it meant to be "googled" or to "google" somebody, before it became a web site? (Can't you just hear some mother screaming and a child, "stop googling the neighbor girl, and get in here and take a cold shower!"

Guess I better get busy and "Google" some answers to these questions. Smile,you'll make people wonder why!

No comments:

Post a Comment